Monday, October 3, 2011

COLORED IDIAPPAM

Last month.while I was packing to get back to Fujairah, Mom gave me some rice powder for me to carry, which she specially had it made ready to use for Idiappam................Such a huge time saver :)) Mom understands our rush more than we do............

 ...........Idiappam or String Hoppers .........is always a family favorite. They are made of rice powder and is usually white. So, the title of the post is just what I did.I colored them :))
Sometimes , we just gotta think out of the box, I guess !!! And an experiment that I got it RIGHT !!

STEP 1: Take One and a half cups of rice powder , add salt as appropriate make a dough with warm water.
Separate the dough into 3 parts. Three parts ..because they need color.
I have used Wilton icing color - the concentrated gel. A small drop would do - and knead the portion till the color blends evenly through the entire dough.
I kept one part just to play safe.......as i have confessed earlier this was a wild experiment...:) Thus, one portion took to pink , another took green and the third stayed white.


STEP 2: No rocket science henceforth, just use the idiappam press and have them steamed in a thali or an idli stand. I have used an idli stand here. when done they look like this.



Trust me , adding color has not altered the taste in anyway. Ideally served with coconut milk and sugar or some lovely spicy curry...the choice is yours...........

I link this post to The Kerala Kitchen - October round up ,hosted by Khushi

3 comments:

  1. What an out-of-the box idea, Vidya! I love it! Who would have thought of coloring them? This definitely will make the same old boring white idiappams attractive to kids...will try it!What an out-of-the box idea, Vidhya! I love it! Who would have thought of coloring them? This definitely will make the same old boring white idiappams attractive to kids...will try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look so cute...never seen coloured ones before :-) thanks for visitng my blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most innovative idiappam, I have ever seen:-)

    My daughter likes all forms of noodles, but I do not have idiappam making Apparatus with me.

    seriously cute!

    ReplyDelete