Martha's Banana cream pie is what I have used as a reference.
I have layered the base of the pie crust with sliced bananas as seen in the pic...
This is Martha's Recipe to prepare the custard. But, the custard I have made is of the proportions I use while making the custard for Banana pudding. You will need............
- 2 Tablespoons All purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 3 Egg yolks
- A quarter cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 1.5 cups Fresh milk
- Heat the milk in a saucepan along with the sugar and Vanilla.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg yolks and add the corn starch and the all purpose flour and fold in till it all mixes well.
- The Milk sugar vanilla mixture should be at boiling point now - take off from fire and add about 3 tablespoons of it to the egg mixture. Stir well with a wire whisk. Never add the milk all at once ,the yolks might curdle.As the mixture loosens up - add the rest of the milk while whisking at the same time. Whisk well till the mixture turns out to be creamy in texture. Pour it back into the saucepan and heat it. Stir continuously to avoid the custard getting lumps. As it thickens take it off the stove. Pour out into a bowl and keep it closely covered with a cling film to avoid the skin formation. Set to cool.
Now, whip up a cup of whipping cream and spead over the custard.
The truth is I ran short of bananas and as such didn't bother with garnish.However, sliced whatever was left and used while serving................:)
The heavenly slice of the pie................the Ultimate comfort food as always !!!!