Back to baking too .........and look forward to bake some interesting challenges here. So, I start the year with Baking Partners challenge - Dutch Coffee Buns...Kofieebroodje. Nothing complicated about this .....yet a soft and sweet bun straight out of the oven in few hours.....
This is how I made it..........
For the dough
All Purpose Flour – 3 cups
Instant Yeast – 7gms
Milk (lukewarm) – 1 ¼ cup
Butter – 3 tbsp
Sugar – 4 tbsp
Vanilla Essence – 1 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Raisins – 1/3 cup
Pastry Cream - made my own
For the glaze
Apricot Jam – 2 tbsp ( I used Strawberry Jam)
Warm Water – 1 tbsp
- Soak the raisins in warm water and set aside for 15 to 20 minutes. Then drain.
- In a bowl, add the flour, salt, sugar and yeast. Whisk well to mix.Add the butter and vanilla. Mix well.In a stand mixer, add the milk a little at a time and knead into a smooth dough.
- Cover and let it proof until double in size - this should take an hour roughly.
- For the pastry cream - In a double boiler heat up 2 cups of milk, half a cup + of cornflour, 2 egg yolks. a tablespoon of vanilla essence ,3/4+ cup of sugar ( adjust to taste) and a pinch of salt. Cornflour should be increased to adjust the thickness. And increase the sugar to the level of sweetness you need.Whisk the mixture to a creamy consistency. This is a standard measure I use to make the pastry cream/custard which stores well in the refrigerator. The rest could be used with fresh fruits.
- When the dough has proofed ,punch it down and knead once again and cut it into 3 portions.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a square shape, 12x12 inches approximate.
- Spread the vanilla pudding, leaving an inch on all sides. Sprinkle the soaked raisins over the pudding.
- Now roll the dough to form a cylindrical shape. Place the seam down and cut the roll into equal slices of about an inch or inch and half. Place the slices on a lined baking Sheet.
- Cover and proof for another 20 to 30 minutes. Pre heat the oven to 350 F.
- Brush the rolls with butter and bake them until golden brown, around 25 minutes.
- For the glaze, Mix the jam with warm water and brush the rolls after taking them out of the oven. Brush them again, when they’ve slightly cooled. Serve with Coffee...
Recipe Source :The Dutch Table suggested by Kaveri Venkatesh. I'm linking this post to the Baking Partners Challenge hosted by Swathi Iyer